The Sea Ranch Thespians call a century-old barn their playhouse. Built around 1880 by German immigrants, the completely restored Knipp and Stengel Ranch barn overlooks the Pacific Ocean on Highway One. At 160 feet long by 60 feet wide, this imposing landmark dominates the landscape in the center of The Sea Ranch. The structural renovation of the barn was accomplished entirely through volunteer labor, and the building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
For Thespian productions, the unobstructed interior of the barn allows a moveable stage to be erected in a variety of sizes and levels. Professional stage lighting is fully computerized, as is the digital sound system. Volunteers design and create elaborate sets for each new production. Audience seating capacity is intentionally limited to keep all seats in close proximity to the stage.
Illustration by Duane Gordon